National Family Caregivers Month 2012
Dear Coalition Members:
November is fast approaching and we, your advocacy committee, are asking for your help in getting the word out about National Family Caregivers Month! Attached to this email is a word document from the National Family Caregivers Association (NFCA) outlining this year’s theme, “Family Caregivers Matter!” and suggestions for why caregivers are so important. It is our hope that you, our coalition members, will take this information and make it available to your communities and your caregivers.
How you get the word out about National Family Caregivers Month is up to you and your organizations! We have a few suggestions:
- Check out the NFCA’s press kit for more information: http://nfca.typepad.com/nfcmonth_2012/
- Incorporate NFCA’s press release/information in flyers announcing your agency’s caregiver events
- Add the press release to your agency’s website.
- Post a link to the National Family Caregivers Association on your agency's Facebook page – or your personal Facebook page – together with the theme: "Family Caregivers Matter!"
- Add a tag line to your emails incorporating November as National Family Caregiver month together with the theme.
- Send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper promoting the theme and sharing what you know about why caregivers are important.
By increasing the awareness of the importance of caregivers in our communities we empower caregivers, and further the mission of our coalition: VCC will work passionately to improve the experience of caregiving through education, advocacy and access to resources. Don't forget to incorporate in your effort the suggestion that individuals may join us at a Virginia Caregiver Coalition meeting--provide the agency/member's contact number, meeting site and date of next meeting.
We would love to hear about your efforts to promote National Family Caregivers Month at our next Caregiver Coalition meeting November 15th. Tell us what worked, what didn’t and what we can start to work on for next year!
Virginia Caregiver Coalition Advocacy Committee Members